Friday, November 11, 2011

Do you know about the Houston Ship Channel Security District?

Being involved with International Business and handling material that comes in and out of the port at our warehouse facility,  we are familiar with the Houston Ship Channel Security District.

However I've not had any direct dealings with them,  but earlier this week I had the opportunity to attend the Houston Ship Channel Security District  update luncheon,  was  found it extremely informative,  and left the meeting feeling reassured that Houston is in good hands.

I also left the meeting with some facts that surprised me,  and thought I would share some of them here.

  • Houston is the busiest port in the Nation!
  • Harris County Sheriff's Office is responsible for much of the port security both on land and water, and is the 3rd largest police force in the country.
  • If the Houston Port System had to be shut down for a day because of an "EVENT",  it could cost the local economy 300 Million  dollars a day.
  • A common quote that I've heard over the past couple of years was restressed  "so goes the port of Houston, so goes the National Economy"

No comments: